At least 2 machines are needed to operate spacedesk. These machines must be connected via a Local Area Network (e.g. Ethernet or Wireless) supporting TCP/IP network protocol. Each one of the two machines is running a different spacedesk software:
1. The Primary Machine is a Windows PC, laptop or Surface Pro tablet. It runs the spacedesk DRIVER software. It includes network display server software and display device drivers. This allows to extend or duplicate the Windows Desktop to the screen of another machine over the network.
2. The Secondary Machine runs spacedesk VIEWER program which acts as the secondary display. It can be one (or multiple) of the following:
- Android tablet or phone (Android VIEWER)
- Windows PC, laptop or Surface Pro tablet (Windows Desktop application)
- Apple Mac, iPad or iPhone (iOS VIEWER)
- Linux PC and a variety of other machines (HTML5 VIEWER)
The network connection between the two machines can be via cable or wireless. If available, a cable is preferred. Cables usually achieve better performance than wireless connections. It can be one (or multiple) of the following:
- Ethernet cable connecting to a hub
- Crossover Ethernet cable between two machines
- USB to Ethernet cable between two machines
- Phone cable (via USB Tethering)
Primary Windows Machine (network display server)
The spacedesk server runs a Windows service and the WDDM Display Driver which is visible to Windows just as additional virtual display monitors on the primary video card (Windows 8.1) or on an own separate virtual graphics adapter (Windows 10). These additional virtual displays can mirror the main screen or extend the Windows Desktop. spacedesk DRIVER software is capturing their screen content, compressing it and transmitting it over the LAN (Local Area Network) to the spacedesk VIEWERs.
- Windows 10 (version 1607 – later only)/ 8.1
- Graphics adapter Nvidia / AMD / Intel / Basic Display
- WDDM 2.6/2.5/2.4/2.3/2.2/2.1/ 2.0 / 1.3 / 1.2 / 1.1
- DirectX 12 / 11 / 10 / 9
Secondary Machine or Device (network display client)
Android VIEWER on tablets and phones.
iOS VIEWER on iPhones, iPads and iPod touch
Windows VIEWER on Windows PCs, laptops and Surface.
- Windows 10 / 8.1 / 7
- DirectX 10
- DirectX WARP (Min. 800 MHz CPU / Min. 512MB RAM)
HTML5 VIEWER on any device running operating system with HTML5 Web browsers
Chrome (> 16), Safari (> 5.1) Internet Explorer (> 10), Opera (> 27) e.g.:
- Windows Phones (Windows Phone 10 / 8.1)
- Windows Surface, tablet, laptop and PC (Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP)
- Mac (OSX)
- Linux PC and laptop
Setup Primary Machine
Before installing a new spacedesk version, uninstall any previous version. This can be done on Windows Control Panel → Programs and Features.
Run the spacedesk Driver Installer
For Windows 10:
spacedesk_driver_Win_10_32_v0943_BETA.msi for 32-bit platform
spacedesk_driver_Win_10_64_v0943_BETA.msi for 64-bit platform
For Windows 8.1:
spacedesk_driver_Win_8.1_32_v0942_BETA.msi for 32-bit platform
spacedesk_driver_Win_8.1_64_v0942_BETA.msi for 64-bit platform
Make sure to check the Firewall configuration before proceeding otherwise no client will be able to discover this Primary Machine nor connect to it.
Only on Windows 8.1 the dialogs below will be shown and need to be confirmed. These operating systems, also require a reboot after the setup has completed.
Verify if Setup was Successful.
First, make sure that the spacedesk Driver is properly installed and can be seen underneath Programs and Features.
Check if the spacedesk System Tray icon (at the bottom right of the screen) is visible in the notification area and click it to show spacedesk status ON and if the spacedeskService is running.
Check the Windows Firewall settings if spacedeskService.exe is allowed on private or public network. Open Control Panel → Windows Firewall → Allow an app through Windows Firewall, allow an another app then browse for spacedeskService.exe located at “C:\Windows\System32” folder.
Verify if latest version is installed.
Check spacedesk version by clicking the spacedesk System Tray icon (at the bottom right of the screen) to show the spacedesk SERVER interface displaying the current version.
Then compare this version with the website’s current spacedesk version.
Setup Secondary Machine
Install on Android and iOS Smartphones and Tablets via App Store
Android VIEWER is installed from the Google Play Store and iOS VIEWER is installed from the iTunes App Store.
Install on Windows PCs, Laptops and Surface Tablets
A Windows PC, laptop or Surface tablet can be used as Secondary Machine. spacedesk Windows VIEWER needs to be downloaded from the
spacedesk website. It needs setup and installation as shown below.
Run the spacedeskWindowsVIEWER setup installer, spacedeskWindowsVIEWER_v0922_BETA.msi. After a successful installation of Windows VIEWER application a shortcut is created on the desktop.
Run on any Machine in HTML5 Web browser
For spacedesk HTML5 VIEWER, no setup installation is needed on the Secondary Machine. HTML5 VIEWER operates with a standard web browser without any setup needed upfront. It can be opened directly from the website http://spacedesk.ph/html5viewer/. Make sure that the web browser (e.g. Safari, Google Chrome, Opera, Internet Explorer, etc.) is updated to the latest version.
It is important to understand, that spacedesk HTML5 VIEWER does not operate over the internet. It does not need an internet connection. It does not even need to be opened over the internet as described above. The HTML5 page can be saved locally.
Local install (optional):The web page can be saved to be used off-line even without internet connection. Follow the instructions below:
- Refresh using Ctrl-F5 keys after opening HTML5 page (this ensures that everything is updated).
- For Google Chrome browser, use the the menu „More tools “ and select „Create shortcut… „.
- For Microsoft Internet Explorer browser, use the the menu „Tools “ and select „Add site to apps „